Hank has been having trouble sleeping since he was sick a few weeks back. He was waking up every night at some point and crying until I went in and got in bed with him. We knew this cycle had to be broken and that it would probably involve some tears. Since it was going to be tough getting him to sleep all night by himself, we decided to go ahead and transition him to his big bed while we were at it.
Colin installed a bed rail on the full size bed in Hank's room Tuesday. We had practiced with him on how to get in
and out of the bed with the rail up, and he seemed to love it. We put
his crib mattress on the floor by the bed for him to use as a step up.
Also, I figured if he woke crying in the night and got up maybe he would
pass back out on the little mattress if he had to cry it out.We put a baby gate across his door, in case he decided to get up and wander around during the night.
Colin rocked Hank to sleep at 8 Tuesday night, and then put him in the full
size bed. Well, he slept in the big bed until 4:50 Wednesday morning until we heard him
crying at his bedroom door. It was way too early to
be up, but I didn't want to fight him on it. I consider it a success for
first night! I was so worried that he would be crying in the middle of
the night!
He went to sleep at 8:15 last night, but then Hank stood at his door and cried from 3:45 til 5:45 this morning.
Yelling mommy and daddy. He even tried calling the dog. It's going to be
a long day. Once I got up with him at 5:45, he was happy and ready to go. Ate a great breakfast, peed in the potty, and started playing with his trains.
It should also be noted that Hank has found a love for opening and shutting doors and turning the locks. Note the painters tape over his lock!
So, the real question: how do we get him to stay in bed until a reasonable hour? Is he too young (2 years, 2 months) for one of those red/green clocks that I've heard about? Any advice?



No comments:
Post a Comment