Monday, January 28, 2013

Potty Time!

We stayed home over Martin Luther King weekend to potty train Hank. Colin and I had both read a book called Oh Crap! Potty Training by Jamie Glowacki. I found it through a blog I read called Crappy Pictures. Both of these ladies are hilarious and definitely worth checking out.
Anyway, our main plan (based on the book) was to stay home all weekend and let Hank run half nekkid. He caught on incredibly quickly. Day two brought pants with no undies. Some accidents but still great success!
One week in, and day care requested he start wearing underwear. We went for it, and he has been doing really well. He has his moments of "NO MAMA!" sometimes, but I just back off and remind him where the potty is when he is ready to use it. 


I wasn't prepared for how tiny his butt is without a diaper. We have been all over town now for short trips here and there. He has gone in several 'big potties' with my or Colin's help. He has been doing especially well at day care where he has the routine with his teacher. A few of his classmates are potty training now, too, so that peer pressure is working in our favor again. He will tell me sometimes when he needs to go, and other times I just tell him "it's time to pee" and put him on the potty. Occasionally he will start in his pants, stop, and then say "peepee!" while hurrying to the potty. It is so cool to watch my little man learn something so important.
Let's see...what else? He wears a diaper for nap and night time, although most of the time he wakes up dry from his nap. Overnight will take some more work, as 11 hours is a LONG time for anyone to wait! We enjoy high fiving after each pee and poop, and Hank really loves to flush the toilet and say BYE BYE PEE PEE! We aren't doing any 'rewards' for going except big exclamations and high fives. He is really proud of himself. His vocabulary now includes: "Good work!" "I did it!" and "Flush it, Mama!"

1 comment:

Larkin said...

He is so stinkin' adorable! Love the boots/no pants combo.