I started reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins last night. I am flying through it (because it is a book for tweens), and I am thinking of giving my niece a copy for Christmas. I love giving books as gifts. I gave my dad a copy of Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Richel for his birthday this year. He loved it so much that he is giving out 25 copies this year for Christmas! In his words, it is the perfect gift for a foodie.
Anyway, the Hunger Games is set in the future when things are very different for the old USofA. Each year, 24 teenagers are picked to compete in a fight to the death in an effort to remind the citizens that the government is in control. It is fascinating so far. Have any of you read it and do you think it is appropriate for a (very smart) fifth grader?
As you can see, I am also reading Les Mis. It is slow going so far. I am still waiting for Jean Valjean.
2 comments:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Hunger Games! My sister got me hooked. The 2nd book in the series is also wonderful. - Anna
i need to borrow your copy over christmas break! i read a chapter aloud when i helped in a 7th grade class this semester and i was so intrigued - this review only makes me more excited to read it :)
Post a Comment